Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Update on the adopted babies

I feel good enough about how Sammy's two rejected kittens are doing with their adopted momma Chika that I have finally named them. The little tabby, who is still significantly smaller than its sibling, is Peanut. The stocky orange one with a huge head is Jellybean. Many thanks to Zoe, my 10 year old friend, who helps me to come up with names :) After doing pet rescue for a while, your creative well can run dry in the naming department.

Chika is a very protective momma to the two youngest. She does a low growl when I reach into the nest to check on how they are doing, so I try to look them over without taking them from her. They are over a week old now. However, she is fine with me handling the two older kittens, Piglet and Roo, which is good because I have to give Roo antibiotics twice a day for the puncture wound on his back from the attack from tomcats that killed two of Chika's original babies. His wound is healing well though. I can't believe that they are almost 4 weeks old! We do know that both Piglet and Roo are boys now. Hopefully in a few weeks I'll be able to report on Peanut and Jellybean's gender.

Sammy is still in the same room as her babies and their adopted family, however, she has shown zero interest in them. She is looking better, and is moving around the room again. I am hopeful for her chances of taming up, as she lets me get very close to her, and seems to like engaging with me when I am there. Once I am confident that her milk has dried up I will schedule her spay.

Thanks so much for all of the well wishes. I am finally able to relax, knowing that Chika has everything under control.
-Sarah

No comments: