Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Why I Love My Pet Contest Winners!

Thank you to everyone who participated in the first PFA Why I Love My Pet Contest. And thank you to Annexa Communications for donating the pet scrapbooking kit as a prize. Congratulations to the winners, who are....

...drumroll, please....

Cat Category

First Place: Star (Sara Bird)

I love my cat Star because she is a survivor and a hero. My friend found her crying on her doorstep a few summers ago. She looked very malnourished. As my friend already had a dog in her "pet free" apartment, I took her in. I had her for a few days and realized she was pregnant. She had five kittens. I kept one and was able to give one to a friend, and People for Animals was able to adopt the others out after I put an ad up. PFA were also interested in Star because of a litter of newborn kittens that were abandoned. They wanted to see if Star would be able to nurse them as well as her own kittens. Star did nurse those abandoned kittens, but due to still being malnourished, she became quite ill. They had to put her on an IV. She eventually recovered and came back home to me and my husband and our three other cats (including her son).

Now she lives a life of comfort and happiness. She enjoys sleeping, eating tuna, and getting hugs from her mommy and daddy, especially her daddy. She has such a cute little personality. Even though she has been with us for the past three years, she still has a bit of that street attitude.


Runner-Up: Pepper and Koda (Jacyntha Laviolette)

My cats, their sweet personalities, never judgmental, greeting me with enthusiasm at any time of the day, when I cry they give comfort, when I am lonely for companionship, they make me laugh, smile and remind me to take time to enjoy life. With life’s ups and downs, changes, moves, breakups, divorce, they are always there to ground me. They know what to say (meow) and the right empathetic look to give me to communicate a strong important message ‘we are in this together and we are here for you, it is okay’.

Dog Category

First Place: Poncho (Dacie Matchett)
 
This is Poncho, my chihuahua. A couple years ago we had a house fire and I rescued him from the burning house with my dads two pitbulls, but I'm happy because recently has rescued my life a few times. He alerted me of a few asthma attacked that could've been deadly. I love my dog because he's always so happy to see me when I walk in after school or ready to cuddle when I'm down. He's so cute and I always feel better when he's around. I have had him for 4 years and I would never want those 4 years back. He is my best friend and I love my chihuahua.

Other Awesome Pets Category

First Place: Carol the Hamster (Krista Hopko)

This Carol, a Syrian hamster - approx. 1 year old - I adopted from the Regina Humane Society. I'm so happy that I chose to adopt a pet and give her a second chance at a happy home. This is a photo of Carol waiting to be picked up to come out and play. I supervise her while she explores the hamster-safe spare room in my apartment. Instead of me having to actually pick her up, she'll crawl onto my hand if she wants to come out to play.


Thanks again to everyone who entered and voted. To see all of the wonderful and touching entries, visit our contest photo albums on the PFA Facebook page.

-Sabrina
 

No comments: