Saturday, August 1, 2009

An update on Sammy-girl




Sammy has been in my care since May, when I was able to trap her in my backyard shed. Shortly after being rescued, Sammy gave birth to kittens.
Sadly, only one of her kittens survived past the first week. However, Sammy took excellent care of Jellybean, and he has now been adopted into a loving family.
Sammy has shown great progress in her time at my house.
She actually began living in my backyard almost a year ago when she was still just a kitten herself. She showed a great deal of curiousity about me and my critters, often perching on the top of the cat run to look in my bedroom window. She would also play with my cats through the mesh of the cat run. Sammy wintered in my outdoor cat shelter, and I was so glad to finally trap her in the spring, although sadly it wasn't soon enough to prevent a pregnancy.
I am seeing Sammy as a long term fostering project. She trusts me now, and allowed me to touch her babies when she had them. Sammy will come up to me and smell my fingers, although I still can't touch her. In the evenings, she comes up upstairs and explores the house, and she loves going out into the cat run. I am confident that she will eventually become a loving housecat, but that she will need at least 6 more months.
Sammy is the kind of cat that we normally don't have the fostering resources available to spend the time taming. Instead, a semi-feral cat like her would go to a farm or a colony where we would support them. However, I feel very proprietary about her since she has lived in my yard for so long, and so I am content to have her here as long as it takes...
-Sarah

No comments: