Saturday, August 29, 2009

Pregnancy and cats

Sammy, my semi-feral foster cat
Pasha and her son Oscar, who I adopted through PFA 3 years ago.

Fred, the original Pump House cat. Once upon a time it was just him and me :)

Costello enjoying the cat perch

My sweet, sweet Bugsy, rescued from a PFA feeding station

I am widely known as a crazy cat lady, so pretty much the next thing out of most people's mouths after they congratulate me about my pregnancy are warnings about the kitty litter and assumptions that I am going to "get rid" of some or all of my cats. (Baby is due April 1st 2010)

I am so grateful to have so many caring friends and family members, and even offers to come over and clean the cat litter for me. But really, there's no cause for alarm. I have spoken to my doctor, and done a lot of research, and baby and I are going to be just fine from the dangers of Toxoplasmosis, the virus that can be transmitted through cat litter, and that can harm pregnancies. First of all, I have had multiple cats for so many years that it is highly likely that I have already been exposed and become immune to the virus. Secondly, there are measures I can take to protect myself, as outlined in this great article. I am wearing disposable latex gloves with every litter change (my mum sent me two boxes of them from BC!), and wash my hands and arms thoroughly afterwards as well. Finally, if I have ANY signs of a fever, I will rush to the doc and they will treat me for toxoplasmosis right away.


And, as far as keeping my 6 cats, of course I am :) There is no reason to give up pets when a baby arrives, as long as you are willing to work things out. With my active fostering with People for Animals, I have often had up to 12 cats in the house at one time. So, to just have my 6 and the dogs will be absolutely easy street. Right now I still have three fosters, and as they get adopted I won't take more. We have 7 months to find them homes, and I am optimistic that by the time baby comes it'll just be me and mine. If you're interested, I have Kiki, Baby Girl (aka Gemma) and Sammy, who is not yet ready to be listed for adoption.

I am excited to see how my baby engages with the critters too. I am sure that he/she will love them as much as I do.
-Sarah

No comments: