Sunday, January 22, 2012

PFA cat in the Arctic

Shortly after he adopted Charlotte, now named Onyxia, Mike got a job in Arctic Bay, Nunavut, and decided to take Onyxia with him. She is the first PFA cat to live in the Arctic, so we definitely wanted to hear an update on how she's doing. Here are some excerpts from an email Mike sent us:

My flights were relatively uneventful, with the exception of the travelling-with-a-cat thing. She took it surprisingly well though. Not a peep between Regina and Toronto, and only once between Toronto and Ottawa. The Ottawa to Iqaluit leg she was more irritable, but it could have been a lot worse. The last 3 hour leg [from Iqaluit to Arctic Bay] she complained, but the plane was smaller and noisier.  

When I arrived in Arctic Bay, I was met at the 'airport' by my Aunt and Uncle, as well as the Mayor and one of the Hamlet council. I was given a whirl-wind tour of the community and introduced to more than a hundred people (you can imagine the fun I had trying to remember names).
  
There are 870 people in Arctic Bay, about 35 of which are from Southern Canada (and they're from all over the place). The Inuit are afraid of animals. Well . . . wary. My cat makes a better guard-dog than a sled dog would (and believe me, some of them are massive). I was told by one of the Councillors that I shouldn't expect visitors--including her--on the cat's account. There are people in Arctic Bay that have never seen a cat (or trees, for that matter). 
As you can see by the pictures Mike sent us, Onyxia is happy, healthy, and doing well in her new home in Arctic Bay (as a strictly indoor cat, of course!)




- Sabrina

1 comment:

Trekker said...

Love your story Mike and I'll bet that Onyxia is a great companion with your being so far from home. She is a beautiful kitty.

Pat, from South Dakota...ie remember Badlands hike and you and your Mom about suffocated in the heat, but you had to see the Badlands.