Sunday, July 26, 2009

Planning Ahead for your Pets

A few months ago, I got proactive and decided to resolve an issue that had been in the back of my mind for a while - formalizing a care plan for my pets in the event that they outlive me. I had specific clauses added to my will to outline who should look after them and I set aside resources to ensure that they will be properly cared for to the end of their days.

It's given me peace of mind to know that if the unexpected happens, my cats will not end up being surrendered to an animal shelter (or completely abandoned - as we see all too often in animal rescue). But, many dedicated pet lovers don't seem to take this step.

Some people don't like to think ahead to the future. Others are certain that friends or family will step up and assume care of their pets if the unexpected happens. I even know of a few people who were pooh-poohed by their lawyers when they requested to make provisions for their pets, and persuaded not to bother. I wonder why it is legally acceptable to designate where your sofa, television and other inanimate objects will end up, but not your pet - a living, breathing creature that requires much more than a roof, food and water to thrive. Your sofa does not love you back!

If you have pets, please give some thought to planning ahead. It may not be pleasant to think of, but life is unpredictable and it is a comfort to know that your pets will be cared for in the event that you can not do it. I am glad that I did.

-Alanna

No comments: