Friday, October 31, 2008

A very little baby

Two weeks ago, we received a call from a nice young lady who had found an orphaned litter of very little kittens on her visit home to the family farm for Thanksgiving. Two of the kittens had already died in the barn, but one little fighter was still alive and in need of help.
The family cared for the baby for one night, and tried to convince one cat loving aunt to adopt the little kitten, but she had just recently lost her beloved old cat, and she wasn't sure if she was ready to adopt again. The next day, Natalie brought the kitten to me.
We guessed that she was barely four weeks old, and she still needed to be bottle fed. I got kitten formula and a bottle, and settled in for the routine of feeding every two hours, helping her poop, and sleeping. I named her Scout.
The next day, I took Scout to the office with me, as she couldn't be left alone. She was a very good girl. But, part way through the morning, I had a visitor. It was Natalie's aunt - the one who hadn't been sure about adopting a kitten so soon. As soon as the kitten had left to come to my house she had missed her desperately, and she came to my office to take her home. What a happy ending! Scout has been renamed Patootie, and she is now the reigning queen of Denise's house, already making friends with Denise's two older cats.

Here is Patootie, visiting with Carol's daughter Zoe yesterday. She is all claws and teeth and diva attitude, and she is much loved.
-Sarah

No comments: