Thursday, October 16, 2008

Even when we say we're full...





In the last few weeks, the members of our Pet Rescue Committee keep on saying that we're full. No more. And then we come across another case that breaks our hearts and we HAVE to find a way to help.
We got a call last week from a woman who is very ill. She has spent her life rescuing animals, and now her life is coming to a close very rapidly, sped along by cancer. She has a house full of pets, but the ones that she wanted help with immediately were a lovely mama cat and her four kittens that this woman had taken in at the beginning of the summer. As she struggles with the reality of her mortality, she realized that she didn't have the time left to find homes for these lovely felines, and that she wasn't even strong enough any longer to give them the care they need.

Jody and I visited her on Saturday, and saw how very sick she was, and how urgent the situation was. We cried with her, as she spoke of how difficult it was to begin to say goodbye to her animal family. I promised that we would have a place for the little family to go this week, without knowing exactly how we would do it.

After several sleepless nights, and no room opening up at any of our foster homes, I decided that I would move the kitties into my basement family room, despite the fact that I have five cats of my own, a dog, and am already fostering four other cats. There were no other options. This is how crowded we are.

Last night, Alanna and I went over to this woman's house, cat carriers in tow. We quickly scooped all five cats into them, trying to keep the goodbyes quick for the sake of our sick friend. She wept, and tried to explain to the cats that she had to say goodbye, since she didn't know how much time she had left. I promised to call and tell her how they were doing, and we also agreed that as soon as PFA was able, we would help her relocate more of her pets.

I'm glad we helped.

-Sarah

No comments: