Saturday, February 19, 2011

Petey, the Backyard Boy



Petey showed up in my back yard in late April last year, hungry and showing the effects of being outside all winter. Since I kept a food dish full, he kept coming around and eventually would wait for me to get home from work each evening so he could have his supper.

As the summer passed, Petey spent time with me as I worked in my garden. I couldn't approach him, but he was clearly happy to have some company. In early September, I managed to trap him to be neutered and treated for an injury the vet thought had been caused by Petey being dragged by a car.

As the cold weather approached, I worried about him surviving yet another winter outside. So, I set up some comfy beds in my garage. He did settle in for a while, but once the really cold weather hit last November, he finally decided that being indoors was best. After I held the front door open for about 10 minutes, he cautiously came inside.

Although he was shy at first and remains so around other people, Petey has become part of the feline clan in my home. His manners are excellent and he has never been part of any fights with the other boys. Slowly but surely, Petey is remembering how to be a pet again. He sleeps with the other cats on my bed and jumps up on my lap for cuddles.

He is just one of many cats that have been abandoned or gotten lost outdoors. His story, however, has a happy ending, unlike so many others.
Sandy

No comments: