Friday, October 9, 2009

Giving Credit Where It Is Due!




Phew! Animal rescue work is busy and stressful and definitely not for the faint of heart. This week, in addition to adoptions and regular rescue challenges, we have dealt with some stressful and heart-wrenching situations:
  • A german shepherd X puppy who lost his home (and family) due to a house fire. While sweet and well-behaved with his new foster family, he suffers from severe separation anxiety and is very destructive if left alone for short periods of time
  • A number of new kitten rescues, including a 2-month old baby found living in a box in a 7-11 parking lot surviving on scraps (adopted as of this morning)
  • An alarming e-mail from a concerned citizen feeding several strays, who turned out to be 3 cats that we thought were safe and sound in foster care, but who were actually being neglected and fending for themselves outdoors!
For me, it takes a strong support network to enable me to volunteer effectively on an ongoing basis. This network includes my precious rescued cats, who serve as companions, snugglebugs, therapists, confidants, entertainment and amusement, and the inspiration to keep going!

There is Ella (tabby with white), my baby and BFF, who I adopted through RHS and is the first to tuck herself under my chin to comfort me when I am stressed and saddened by rescue work. Then, there is my beautiful Malley (white), a sweet and loving girl who I adopted through PFA and who triggered my involvement with animal rescue. My most recent addition, Beckham (grey tabby), is a fun, funny and very charismatic little guy who I fostered after his adoption fell through due to his illness after a declaw surgery. The lady didn't want him once he got sick with an infection from the surgery. He wasn't a foster cat for long as I fell in love and adopted him.

These marvelous little critters help keep me going and I wanted to recognize them after a pretty rough week.

-Alanna

No comments: