Friday, September 4, 2009

Bugsy is learning how to play!





I have written about Bugsy often on this blog. He is no longer a PFA foster cat, as I adopted him last year after fostering him, and realizing that I simply couldn't part with this amazing boy. Bugs is a true survivor of the streets. When he was finally trapped and taken to the vet, we weren't sure if he would ever tame up completely. We also didn't know if he would ever be able to use his damaged eye properly. Now, he has had three surgeries on his face and his eye. He has battled horrible ear infections, a by-product of the long term damage done by chronic ear mites while he was on the street. Because of this, Bugsy also has some hearing loss. However, he is now finally a healthy cat, and his eye and ears are fine.
For the first year or so at my home, Bugsy mostly slept and ate. We are used to tomcats who have been rescued virtually hibernating as they recover from their experiences, and that is exactly what Bugs did. Slowly, he would let me touch him, and he began to truly enjoy the attention. Bugsy has also made fast friends with the other critters in the house, especially my female cats, who are kind of like his harem.
Now, Bugsy has really come full circle. He is vocal and loving. He cuddles with me on the sofa in the evening, and chases the other cats around in play. And, much to my surprise, he has begun playing with cat toys! These photos are of Bugsy discovering the kitty tunnel in the living room. He loves it, and lurks in there till another cat walks by, at which point he leaps out and scares the poop out of them.
-Sarah

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I am so happy to hear your good news on Bugsy! I have been thinking of him lately and wondering how his surgery went. He looks great and it's so cute to see him playing now!